Search This Blog

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Are you there God? It's me Gina

I went to church and did not burst into flames.


I didn't even get singed.


Nice. I was worried for a bit there. As most of you know, Bill, Lucky and I are in Costa Rica to celebrate my grandmother's 100th birthday. It is, by all accounts, a very big deal.


And what else would my very Catholic grandmother want to do on her birthday? That's right, she wanted to go clubbing. No, no, she wanted to go to church. And not just any church. The big church in Cartago. We have photos but, we're battling to get them to download. If they appear any time soon, you will see what I mean.


The service was beautiful to us, and boring to Lucky who decided the church perfect acoustics for the high pitched shrieks he likes to omit. They make him an ideal alarm for any occasion.


But that was just a start. I am in awe of what is being done for my grandmother. Things I would never have been able to afford for the ones I love at home. The church service was just the start of the day. After the mass, we all went to lunch at a place called Solo Rosas (Only Roses).


Set on a steep hillside, the place is a rose garden with a banquet area. The aroma of thousands of roses from around the globe swallows you as you step in. Small dainty bowls with a variety of roses rest on counters and tables.


The hillsides are steep. And the group, which included many elder members of the family, took a short tour while waiting for the tables to be ready. It didn't take too long, and we were all seated for lunch.

What do you get when you turn 100? A buffet style lunch with soup and salad, arroz con pollo, black beans and lots and lots of sweets. Chocolate fountain with strawberries, cake and cookies with coffee following the meal. And wine, tea and sodas to drink.

They rented a small van to help get everyone up there (and did it struggle up that hill). But my grandmother was surrounded by family and a nun. It was amazing. And the driver took the long way down the hill, so we were able to see some of the natural beauty of the region. Big forests with clouds misting around them. We were swallowed up by the clouds at certain points.

We were even stopped by the cops. They were looking for drug runners we were told. They took down the names and poked around the van for a second.

"It's getting dangerous over here. They just want to make sure they know who's coming and going," one of my grandma's in-laws said.

Sorry that all of these came in all at once, but we jump on when we can. We'll try to get more as we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment