Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Welcome to my first real venture into the blogosphere.
I start this journey on a significant day. Today a check for a large sum of money has been deposited into an account. The result will be the purchase of three round-trip tickets to Costa Rica, Central America, a country I have not set foot on for nearly 25 years.
You see where this is going. I am packing up my husband and my 2-year-old child - and likely my 72-year-old father - into an aircraft for some eight hours and head to a country that traumatized me so severely in childhood, I tossed out my passport and have refused to leave the country.
And here I am getting ready to pack up and head there again. Stupid is as stupid does.
My goal is to document that and a bit of my life here as much as I can. I do have a small child, so posting daily may be impossible. But my hope is that I’ll be able to get to a computer in Costa Rica and keep track of my experiences there.
This blog is really as much a way for me to keep track of the insanity that is my life as it is a way to give others insight. Often, I can’t believe some of the stuff I’m experiencing.
I don’t always remember my experiences. Some things I try to put behind me. Of course, the biggest reason is I simply forget. Other things I can never forget.
This trip I want to remember. Not only will I see family I have not seen since I was an awkward teen, my grandmother celebrates her 100th birthday.
Yay.
Obviously it’s an event that should not be missed. So the husband made arrangements so that we would not miss it. When he told me we had the money I thought, “Good. I think. I guess. That’s fine. Whatever.”
“Just get me to the airport put me on a plane
Hurry hurry hurry before I go insane
I can't control my fingers I can't control my brain
Oh no no no no no”
You said it Joey!
I am not a whiny person. I’m just a whiny relative. Picture this for a moment. My cousin Mari was the first female to be head of a major Costa Rican bank. My cousin Vanessa is a doctor of some kind and her brother is a lawyer. My cousin Marcel is a banker. How do I know this? My father tells me everyday. And his family tells him every other day.
Lets count them up: doctor, teacher, lawyer, accountant, banker, banker, ahhh piss poor journalist.
I suck at math, but I don’t like the total I come up with. The comparisons have gone on for a long time. Now I will have to go face them. I’m not sure what they’ll be mesmerized with more, my layoff or the furloughs.
I do have a plan though. I call him son. A little blond wonder I think will shock and awe. Or is that shock and Awwwwwwwww!
Of course what actually happens remains to be seen. I’m just at the beginning of this journey. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment