Search This Blog

Saturday, June 13, 2009

They grow so fast

I had one of those giggle inducing/head-shaking moments today.
It’s my weekend but not Bill’s. So Lucky and I went to visit daddy at his office and have some dinner.
After dinner, we stopped by to get Papa a drink at 7Eleven. For fun, he got me and Lucky a small Slurpee to share. With our drinks, we dropped Bill back off at his office and drove home. As soon as we walked in the door, Lucky, walked over this his play table - it has a computer keyboard that was given to him by my boss - put his drink down, grabbed a toy cell phone, started hitting keys and talking into the phone “Yeah. Yeah. Oh, no no no no no.”
I watched in amusement and realized Lucky’s action were a reflection of his parents. I catch him doing that from time to time. It’s cute and amazing. My baby is growing up and I’m having troubles with it already.
Every morning, it seems we’re picking a different child up out of that crib. Sometimes it’s obvious he’s grown. I see the changes in his face. He’s tall enough to reach things once out of his range. He can open almost all doors. He loves flipping through his story books and pretending to read.
He’s outgrown most of his clothes. And I can tell he knows more than ever what his father and I are talking about.
I sometimes flashback to what I was told by a few other moms. “Think it over carefully,” they told me when I was considering having children. I did. And I continue to think about it. I know the toughest part is yet to come. There will be school, early mornings, extra curricular activities, oh and the dreaded teen years.
But then I realized that none of these mothers, if they had the choice, would change a thing. None of them regretted having their children. Times can get tough. And you feel every minute that ticks by when things get difficult.
And yet the weeks and months have FLOWN by. Before I knew it, Lucky was 2.
So here I am, bracing myself for the inevitable. He’s growing up. Sigh.
In other news:I got passport yesterday. It’s been more than 10 years since I’ve had held a valid passport. As I said in an earlier post, I let mine lapse years ago. I never intended leave the country again, at least not willingly. The new passports look nice, all colorful and everything.
It looks better than it did when I was a child. Much to my relief, I also got back my birth certificate.
I was unaware that they take the original copy of your birth certificate and mail it off to the Department of Homeland Security or wherever. We applied for our passports at the U.S. Post Office. The woman helping took the copy of my birth certificate, which I’ve had since 1973, clipped it to an application and walked off with it.
“Um, you’re keeping it?” I asked.
“We need to send the originals,” she said.
YIPE! I’ve had that birth certificate since I was 3. It was the one I used to apply for my original passport. It’s all taped up to keep it from falling apart. That certificate has been to Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, , Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama. It’s even made stops in Miami and Texas. I was not happy to let it go.
Seriously folks, I was anxious to get it back. It’s my personal information pulled out of my hands and sent to some government office. And not just that, it’s an old and fragile document.
Fortunately it came back in one piece. Phew! On the other hand, I wish I could have seen the reaction of the person who was inputting my application. I imagine she turned to her co-workers and yelled, “You guys have to look at this.”

No comments:

Post a Comment