Search This Blog

Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Homeless Aren't Who We Think They Are

A recent viral video caught my eye the other day.

It was from a young documentarian who gave a homeless man $100 and then followed him. The filmmaker and his crew watched the man go into a liquor store, walk out and head to a local park where he started handing out food he had purchased with the money.

“You thought I was going to get all smacked up drunk?” the man said to the filmmaker who confronted him. The young man apologized and admitted he really did believe he was going to buy alcohol or drugs. But what he found was that the less fortunate man was one of many families who fall into homelessness despite their best efforts.

In reality, before becoming homeless the man had quit his job to take care of his ill elderly parents. They would eventually die and creditors took the home he had shared with them.

Ours is a story of a profession amid tumult. We’re starting over. And that has left us in total limbo and facing homelessness. Today especially has hastened our slide toward homelessness. What has been happening to us seems almost impossible, perhaps implausible.

This year family gave us money as a Christmas gift specifically for the purchase of clothes. With a rare sense of calm, we climbed into our small compact car to head to after Christmas sales to find much needed pants. As we pulled onto the main street, a light signaling low tire pressure signaled a problem with a tire. But the pressure it was signaling was a normal low for a cold, brisk morning.

So head headed toward a gas station to find an air pump. By the time we got to the pump, the pressure had gone down significantly much to our surprise. At the gas station, he checked the tires and found one completely flat.

We were stunned. We became confused after finding a finger-sized hole in one of the tires.

You can guess by now that our hearts sank. I wanted to cry but could not. I’m out of tears. We slowly moved the vehicle a short distance to a Costco tire center. We still have a membership there that our family also paid for.

My husband paid just over $200 for two new front tires. And with that, we lost the Christmas clothes money and then some. We walked around Costco snacking of samples while waiting for the tire center to let us know the job was done.

When they called, it was with more bad news. Workers said they could not replace the tire because the rim had somehow been bent severely enough that the tire itself was not holding air. I felt a deep sadness overwhelm me.

My husband again called family who fortunately have a background in mechanics to relay the news.

The tone of voice from our relative, he would tell me later, sounded like they could not believe what they were being told.

“It wasn’t said, but I think (the family member) was close to saying that if it wasn’t for bad luck, we wouldn’t have any luck at all,” my husband told me later.

We gave out a few precious gifts for Christmas this year. It was a careful balance to give those out as it was. We survived thanks to the generous nature of family and friends. My son received gifts thanks to family, Santa Claus Inc. and an incredibly kind gift from a close friend who wanted to make sure he had a good Christmas.

With this car problem, the rent money we had struggled to gather may not be complete anymore. How much will it cost us to get a new rim? I don’t know. It could be $40 or $200. We don’t know. But this could be the last hurrah.

Before today, my husband and I had held on the hope that we would make it at least through January. Now we’re not sure what’s going to happen.

I often replay in my head is what a small business owner once said to me when I asked him if he had any job openings. He told me he had once had financial difficulties and had to briefly move into his parent’s home. “It was the best thing that happened to me,” he said.

Here’s the problem with that. My parents are both dead. Most of my extended family lives in another country. My younger siblings are struggling financially. One rents a room from a family. Another is married and the couple is raising three children in a two-bedroom apartment. They are packed tightly.

My in-laws are older and unable house us in their home. Another set of in-laws have a nice home but have cats which my son and I are seriously allergic to.

A fourth family member has a home we might be able to move into. But she lives so far away from where we currently live, that I would be forced to give up the 15 hours of work I was finally able to get. It would leave us without a single bit of income. In reality, all of our relatives live far from where we live. We ended up moving far from them in an effort to follow where the work was.

Of course there is a deeper truth at play here. Every single one of the households I mentioned is financially strained right now without exceptions. Taking in another entire family is a large commitment that my husband and I don’t want to heap on anyone.

Dear reader, imagine having to take in a full family yourself. What kind of adjustments would you have to make? Imagine that you were doing it while someone else in your immediate family was already in poor health, facing surgery, difficulties at work or unemployment.

Each one of those households I mentioned is facing one of those scenarios. Moving back with parents is not an option. While there is an option of living with siblings, it certainly would be an added strain for them.

But there is one other choice, which is the most viable, our car. Hopefully it will be in running condition of course.

Even then, I doubt I will panhandle the way the man in the documentary did. I’ve been told it’s a good way to make money. But it’s hard to think that I worked so hard to complete all my college course work so I would end up begging for change anyway.

More importantly, who is going to believe that I am in need? Who’s going to believe that it was a set of circumstances beyond my control that landed me smack in the middle of homelessness? I doubt I’m going to have a filmmaker follow me around. I wouldn’t be that lucky.

Honestly, if it weren’t for bad luck, we wouldn’t have any luck at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment