Search This Blog

Monday, January 13, 2020

Very Much a Newbie ... And that Breaks My Heart

Today a Junior High student had a brief freak out on me. I had asked her to hand over her phone after I caught her using it in class. She refused angrily telling me, "No! I'm not giving it to you. This is my phone." She put it away. I was fine with that for the moment but let her know that she was fine ... for now.

I made it clear that I was taking phones if I saw them. Later on, I saw her again on her phone when she needed to be working. I warned her, "put that away if you want to keep it." She freaked out! "Oh my gawd! It's my phone."

I couldn't help but give her a puzzled look. Then I took a stern attitude asking her what was going on. It took me a moment to realize this child was about to blow. I knew something was brewing under the defiant facade. The class also stopped to stare, I could feel them looking at her. I decided right then and there, for the sake of the child, to get her out. "You know what hon, why don't you head p to the office. I think that's where you kinda wanted to go anyway." (Her teacher was up at the office.)

"Fine," she said, shoving her stuff in her backpack.

"Go ahead and turn in your notebook," I told her. "Mr. (C) is collecting them."

She stopped and glared at me. "I don't have to give you my notebook. It's MY notebook." One of her classmates became exasperated and piped up, "Jeez "Gigi" what is the deal with the attitude!"

I watched her walk out. I looked at the class and told them, "I didn't mean to upset her."

"Oh it wasn't you," I was told. "She does this to Mr. C." I expressed sorrow. I reminded the students that we were all dealing with things. I know I do, I said. But they didn't seem to believe me.

For the record, I collected several phones today. The students gave me no troubles and simply collected got them back at the end of class. I never keep them if the student willingly hands them over. I usually give it back at the end of class. If a student is disrespectful, I either take the phone and deliver it to the office or I will write the student up.

Today was the first time I saw a youngster struggling this bad. I told this to the teacher and expressed my suspicions about the inner pain, his face became serious, he sighed and confirmed my suspicions with a simple nod and, "yep."

 I'm not sure if I handled it well. I know I could have done better. I think I was being tough with a child who was already hurting. For that, I feel bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment