I remember when I was a child that my family in Costa Rica would make the most delicious food. From her simple French fry style potatoes to her rice and beans, meals were always so satisfying. I am watching my carb intake so I squeezed what I could out of my memory. Here is what I could remember. I made this salad, and it was delicious.
📋 Abuelita's Costa Rican Ensalada de Atún (Tuna Salad)
Prep time: 10 minutes | Servings: 1-2 | Glycemic Impact: Exceptionally Low
Ingredients:
- 1 can (5 oz) Tuna in water, drained
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup White onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- To taste Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- To taste Celery salt and black pepper
- 4–5 large Crisp lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- Optional Abuelita Twists: 1 tbsp of drained capers OR chopped green olives
Instructions:
- Prep the Tuna: Open the can of tuna and drain the water completely. Flake the tuna into a medium mixing bowl using a fork.
- Combine the Aromatics: Add the finely chopped white onion, fresh cilantro, and capers or green olives (if using) directly into the bowl.
- Bind and Season: Add the mayonnaise, celery salt, black pepper, and fresh lemon juice to the mixture.
- Mix Thoroughly: Stir all the ingredients together with a fork until the tuna is well-coated and the salad holds together.
- Assemble the Wraps: Spoon the Ensalada de Atún evenly into the centers of your washed lettuce leaves. Roll or fold them up into tight, crisp wraps.
No comments:
Post a Comment