Search This Blog

Saturday, May 23, 2020

Souplantation: Asian Ginger Broth

Recipes

For many of us, watching Covid-19 globally cut down families and kill hundreds of thousands has been, at best, heartwrenching. As is human nature, we often seek escape. But even in this, the virus has swept through, cutting down businesses we enjoy so much. Spreading everywhere, corona awaits silently like a sentry. We don't know when, if or who it will strike. Especially difficult is finding who is carrying the virus and how it will affect anyone in particular. This makes large gatherings potentially dangerous.

Among the sad business casualties of the destructive Covid-19 pandemic is Souplantation. The San Diego-based eatery offered some of the healthier food options known in buffet-dom. Want to build a salad made primarily of spinach leaves? They had your back. Want quinoa? Peas? Carrots? Edamame? Onions? Bell pepper? Tuna tarragon? Chilled spiral pasta? They had your back.

Speaking on behalf of my family, we will miss Souplantation immensely. Especially my son who has rather severe texture issues, a result of ADHD. He loved the focaccia pizza and cheesy garlic flatbread. And I would rest easy knowing that we chose a restaurant where he would eat instead of sitting there looking stressed as he desperately searched his mind for a way to get out of eating something without upsetting his sensitive mother.

As soon as the announcement came down, my thoughts turned to the recipes that Souplantation had posted on their website. My hubby then told me other Souplantation fans were now scrambling to save or print them out. I printed the ones I could find.

In order to preserve them for myself, I am posting them here, starting with one of my favorites. Enjoy.



Asian Ginger Broth
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 16 cups

Ingredients
4 tsp. Finely minced ginger
3 tsp. Finely minced garlic
2 tbsp Canola oil
6 tbsp Cornstarch
16 cups Cold water
6 tbsp Vegetarian base
Optional toppings:
Shredded carrots
Green onions
Chopped spinach
Sliced mushrooms
Wonton Strips
Cubed tofu
Shredded chicken

1. Combine ginger, garlic and canola oil in a large pot and saute for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together the cornstarch with 2 cups of the cold water until it is dissolved.
3. Add cornstarch mixture, vegetarian base and remaining water to the pot and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 15 minutes.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Top with any of the optional toppings you desire.

* Editors note: When I made this soup, I checked to see what the results were after the 15 minutes of simmering. I have an electric stove that does not get very hot. The broth was still watery, far from done. But I allowed it to simmer for most of the hour. The results were great. I ended up with a light, tasty broth.






No comments:

Post a Comment